There isn't a lot to say about happenings in March... mostly we spent our time working and taking Ada to the dogpark. We love our dog. She is starting to show a few of her quirks and has chewed a few items that have caused more frustration, but I still think she is one of the most well behaved dogs I know. We have taken her on a few more hikes and have been able to allow her off leash. She always stays in eyesight and for the most part even stays on the trail.
This picture was taken at the dog park on one of the only days there were hardly any dogs... usually there are at least 10-20 and on busy days there are 50 or more
April has brought houseguests back to our home. Jared's college buddy Robb came down for a few weeks earlier this month, and just this weekend came back to stay for a bit. Jannelle came down this weekend for the first time since last summer. It was so great to catch up and just hang out together. Having a close friend with you makes you realize how much you miss them when they leave! We made it on two hikes despite the threat of hail and thunderstorms (more details and pictures on posts to come).
What else is new... We painted our 1/2 bathroom a wonderful earthy green color. In the master bathroom we can't decide between red and brown. There is a beautiful deep red color patch on the wall for sampling, but even with three coats it looks pretty patchy... I don't know if we want to put that much energy into it, even if it is the perfect color. On the main floor we finally have blinds! Robb helped me install some faux wood blinds last time he was here. They look wonderful and I love the option of having privacy.
The weather around here has been incredibly sporadic lately. We had a few weeks of great sunshine at the end of March/Beginning of April, but since then it has only been a few nice days here and there. I have spent a lot of time out in the garden, even on some of the not-so-nice days. Most of the plants that I had last year are starting to pop up, but I have been moving them around a bit. So far I haven't lost any to this abuse. All of the flowering plants are now in the planting strip below the deck. The larger area outside the bedroom is going to be entirely for herbs and vegetables. Over the last month I have started a lot of seeds indoors, direct sown a few early plants outside, and also done a method called "winter sowing" using plastic milk and soda jugs. The last method is a little tacky looking, but I already have cucumbers and beans sprouting, which shouldn't normally happen for another month! Just today I used scrap wood from the construction site next door to create an edging between the grass and the garden. I was getting tired of removing encrouching grass. As for other exciting news on the garden front, we finally have birds! The birdfeeder I put up last summer had never been visited by any birds until this month. Today was very cloudy and windy, but I saw at least 6 or 7 birds visit the feeder. Yay for wildlife.
Samba and the Seedlings

The Vegetable Garden

Winter Sowing Method

Awas killed a fushia I had successfully overwintered... good thing he is cute

No comments:
Post a Comment